Department Contact Information
Phone (518) 792-9179
Fax (518) 743-0483
Northumberland Town Hall
PO Box 128
17 Catherine Street
Gansevoort, NY 12831
Monday - Thursday
8 am - 1 pm and 2 pm - 4 pm
Closed 1 pm - 2 pm
Tuesday Evenings 6 pm - 8 pm
Fridays 8 am - 1 pm
Click here for our form to request public records under the Freedom of Information Law
Parking Permits for Persons with Severe Disabilities
Click here for Application for Parking Permit for Persons with servere disabilities
OR Visit New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at www.NYSDMV.com
Click here for our Peddlers License Application
Cemetary Plots Information
Click here for a list of cemetary plots with names from 1894 to 2002
Birth, Death & Marriage Copies
Application for Copy of Birth Record
Application for Copy of Death Record
The town of Northumberland’s Town Clerk’s Office follows the guidelines as set forth by the New York State Health Department (Vital Records Section) for all searches of birth, death or marriage records.
Please do not ask me or my staff to “bend the rules” because another office you may have visited did not follow these same guidelines. Please do not expect us to search for your records while you wait. We have many duties and responsibilities and we will fill your request as soon as possible. We will do our best to locate the record(s) you are requesting in the shortest time possible….however, we need your cooperation.
Applicants must complete a written application.
NO INFORMATION WILL BE FURNISHED OVER THE TELEPHONE.
Applicants must pay the required fee for each search and Certified Copy, for each search and Certified Transcript or for each search and No Record Certified Form. Effective August 1, 2003 the New York State Department of Health set the following fee schedule:
Certified Transcripts & Certifications of Birth, Death and Marriage is $10.00 per copy.
The fee for issuing uncertified copies of birth, death and marriage certifies by the New York State Department of Health, local registrars, town and city clerks increases as follows:
- 1-3 year search $22
- 7-10 year search $42
- 11-20 year search $62
- 21-30 year search $82 Etc.
No fee is charged for copies of records needed for school entrance, working papers, welfare assistance or veterans' benefits.
Marriage License Fees: $30.00 + $10.00 for the Certificate of Marriage Registration that is sent to the newlyweds.
Birth, death and marriage records are confidential and are not open for public inspection.
THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO VITAL RECORDS. Section 4173 of the NYS Public Health Law and Part 35 of the State Commissioner’s Administration Rules & Regulations place restrictions on access to these records. Searching of records must be conducted only by the Registrar, the Deputy Registrar or an authorized employee of the Registrar. In the Town of Northumberland, the Town Clerk and her deputy serve as registrar and Deputy Registrar.
Certificate of Residency
Application for Certificate of Residency
In order to have Saratoga County participate in the cost of his or community college education, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college. Military personnel on active duty are entitled to the lower “Resident” rate directly from the college; they do not need a Certificate of Residency.
You must apply for your certificate no later than the start of classes and no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes. Certificates remain valid for semesters that begin within one year from the date of issue.
To be eligible for a Certificate of Residency you must be:
- A continuous resident of New York State for one year immediately preceding your date of application, and
- A resident of Saratoga County for at least one month within the six months immediately preceding the date of your application.
If you have not been a resident of Saratoga County for the entire six month period, you will have to obtain a Certificate from each county in which you have resided in the past six months.
Elements of Acceptable Proof:
- Each document must be dated and include your name and street address. Documents with a post office box will not suffice.
- At a minimum, two proofs are required: one more than a year old and one less than a month old.
- Each resident on your application must be documented.
- Non-citizens are required to document their resident status.
- No claim of residency will be accepted solely on your testimony of that of your parents, relatives, friends or other individuals.
- The standard of proof will not be compromised because you have left yourself insufficient time to obtain acceptable proof.
Examples of Acceptable Proof:
- Driver’s license, car registration, insurance card
- Transcripts or report cards
- Bank statements, utility bills
- Medical records, prescriptions
- Formal lease or letter (on letterhead) from your landlord indicating dates of tenancy
- Dated mail or postmarked envelopes
- Income tax return with preprinted label
If you were born outside the United States:
- Naturalization papers
- Birth certificate indicating U.S. citizenship of parents
- Immigration papers indicating permanent resident status
- Certificate of Residency Application